4.07.2005

Good new music (just when I was feeling old and out of date)

I listen to music while I'm out walking my dog - when I'm feeling restless, I zoom around the radio dial looking for a surprise. Sometimes I find one. There is an actually independent radio station 60 miles from here that plays new music (rock and punk mostly), and as I zoomed past a couple of weeks ago they hooked me with a song that sounded like Bowie-as-produced-by-Eno. It was a weak signal so I stood still to hear the rest of the song, and was glad that I had guessed right about the station because the deejays say what they're playing between songs (remember when all stations did this?). It was Louis XIV's single "Finding Out True Love is Blind." I bought the album on payday. Fun fun fun! Many of the songs are derivative, but I don't seem to mind. These guys have listened to a lot of glam - Marc Bolan, Ziggy-era David Bowie, and the Rocky Horror Picture Show soundtrack for a start - and the sound isn't quite their own yet. The lyrics are very very naughty - sometimes in a dirty-sexy-good way, sometimes obnoxious - but hey, it's rock and roll.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?