12.12.2005

Caroling II

crispyshot wrote here:

My UU church went a-caroling to some older members in their nursing homes just yesterday, and our pastor launched into "God rest ye, Unitarians." Made me
chuckle. So did the ex-Catholic we were serenading. When we asked if he had any requests, he said, "Sing me something informative." Curiously, that was not a subject heading in our Traditional Carols book.

So I'm trying to think of "something informative." My mind turned immediately to "The sun is a mass of incandescent gas . . ." which is probably They Might Be Giants. Then I remembered the fall-down-funny geography and physics songs from Animaniacs. The refrain from their excellent Universe Song goes:

It's a great big universe
And we're all really puny
We're just tiny little specks
About the size of Mickey Rooney.
It's big and black and inky
And we are small and dinky
It's a big universe and we're not.

space

Animaniacs was great brainfood for my seventeen-year-old self.
Plus, it's the funniest thing Spielberg's ever been involved with.

Comments:
alissa taught me this song:

tell me why the stars do shine
tell me why the ivy twines
tell me why the sky's so blue
and i will tell you
just why i love you

hydrogen fusion makes the stars to shine
evolution makes the ivy twine
dust in the atmosphere makes the sky so blue
because i have hormones,
that's why i love you

(original version: "because god made..." times 4. eww.)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?